A workshop second is an item that was made during a workshop demonstration and therefore it may have some flaws and visible marks. Each of these models were made with care, but in the midst of teaching I will often make certain mistakes and marks for the sake of my students. After years of teaching, I’ve accumulated a collection of blank books and boxes that I want to give a new home.
Instead of selling these workshop seconds, I ask that you donate to an organization that is dedicated to building up individuals and strengthening communities through art and craft. And as a thank you, I’ll send you a workshop second chosen at random. See examples of what you might receive in the photo gallery to the left. If you choose to purchase more than one item, the total amount will go towards one organization.
At checkout, please select one of the following organizations to support:
- Artists for Humanity - This organization is located in Boston and provides under-resourced teens the keys to self-sufficiency through paid employment in art and design.
- Bemis Center for Contemporary Arts - This organization is located in my hometown, Omaha, Nebraska. Bemis facilitates the creation, presentation, and understanding of contemporary art through an international residency program, exhibitions, and educational programs.
- The Black School - This school is located in New York and their mission is to promote and extend the legacy of art in Black radical histories by providing innovative education alternatives centered on Black love.
- Crafting the Future - This organization connects with other organizations around the country and works to diversify the fields of art, craft and design by connecting BIPOC artists with opportunities that will help them thrive.
- North Bennet Street School: Bookbinding Department - This school is based in Boston and is where I studied the skills of bookbinding. Supporting the Bookbinding Department creates scholarship opportunities for future students of the craft.
- Penland School of Craft - This school is located in Penland, North Carolina and supports individual and artistic growth through creative practice and discovery.
All proceeds will be donated. Donations will be collected at purchase and distributed once a month. Check my Instagram
for notification of donations.
Thanks for helping me support these amazing organizations and enjoy your handmade book or box!